It’s August 1st, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare has showed its face. Let’s discuss!
There was a crap ton of information and info showed. I’m going to do my best to cover everything in order and organized (lol). A lot of this information will be taken from the amazing CharlieIntel (I love ya’ll and sign me to your team plz), YouTubers’ summary videos, and Twitter. I will definitely give my own input in places I can.
- Health regeneration is automatic, but a stim can be equipped to heal players
- No mini-map this includes core game modes. Instead a compass is at the top of the hud to guide you, and teammates will be highlighted for you
- Killstreaks are back and replacing Scorestreaks meaning Hardline is back baby
- Gunsmith allows you to customize your gun to your hearts content and there up to 30-60 attachments per gun. You can access the Gunsmith in game.
- There will be night versions of maps that require you to use night vision mode
- Doors can be opened and closed
- Super sprint is limited but there is unlimited normal sprint
- There is 10v10 Headquarters, 20v20 Ground War, and a 100 player mode too
- There is cross play
- Matchmaking will place players according to input device (keyboard vs keyboard)
- Post launch maps will be free
- Beta starts September 12 on PS4
- Nuke returns
- No pick 10 meaning you pick a primary, secondary, three perks, one lethal and one tactical equipment. Gunsmith allows for five attachments on one gun
- Field upgrades are very limited version of Specialists abilities
- You pick Operators, but they are purely cosmetic
Okay so I think (?) I covered the basics. In my opinion, there are a lot of interesting things being shown. My biggest takeaway is no mini map is no bueno (good). Now a lot of people seem to be divided over this. Some guy called me garbage because I didn’t like the idea.
To me, I do not play Call of Duty for realism and I also don’t watch the mini map. It’s a tool to know when spawns are flipping, where Killstreaks are, and where my teammates are. I don’t know why they’d remove it since there’s no reason to remove it. It will be in competitive play though, which only makes me wonder how does that make sense?
Along with that, I much preferred the Scorestreak system vs the Killstreak system. I get it’s not fair that Joe is earning higher streaks for playing the objective versus killing enemies, but now Tom is going to be focused on high kill games for his montages while the team is getting blown out by 30 kills in Team Deathmatch. Just my two cents.
Perks and Killstreaks (CharlieIntel provided)
- 3 Kills:
- Personal Radar — Escort drone that enables the radar for the owner, and pings nearby enemies.
- 4 Kills:
- Counter UAV
- Care Package
- 5 Kills:
- Cluster Strikes — Signal for a number of cluster mortars to hit the designated location.
- Cruise Missile — Control a long range cruise missile with boost capabilities.
- Precision Airstrike — Call in twin jets for a precision strike along the best available path.
- 7 Kills:
- Wheelson — Remote controlled UGV with a powerful airburst turret.
- Infantry Assault Vehicle — A manned light infantry vehicle with a.50 cal machine gun on top.
- 8 Kills:
- Emergency Airdrop — Call in 3 random kill streak care packages to your location.
- VTOL Jet — Releases an initial missile barrage before guarding a location of the player’s choice
- 10 Kills:
- Chopper Gunner
- White Phosphorus
- 11 Kills:
- Support Helo — Call in a heavy assault helo with twin turrets to patrol the map
- 12 Kills:
- Gunship — Heavy assault gunship with three types of armaments
- Advanced UAV — Orbital UAV that reveals the enemy’s direction on the mini map.
- 15 Kills:
I feel like these streaks will be strong and that can either be a good or bad thing. Some of these streaks are returning from previous Call of Duty games and are just renamed (VTOL Jet aka the Harrier from MW2) or the returning Juggernaut suit. We finally get an Advanced UAV after what seems like forever. According to PrestigeIsKey (1:22 mark in the video), the Counter UAV works similar to the SATCOM from Call of Duty Ghosts as in you place it down, and it will disorient enemies as they come closer to it. Not cool.
- Double Time — Triple the duration of Super Sprint and fully refresh Super Sprint on kills.
- E.O.D. — Take reduced damage from non-killstreak explosives and fire. Hack enemy Claymores, Proximity Mines, and C4.
- Scavenger — Resupply ammo from dead players.
- Tracker — Enemies leave behind trails and death markers. Increase crouch movement speed by 30%.
- Tune Up — Increase the charger rate of field upgrades by 50%.
- Ghost — Undetectable by UAVs, Radar Drones, Heartbeat Sensors and High Alert. Hide the death markers of enemies you kill.
- Hardline — Your killstreaks cost 1 less kill.
- Kill Chain — Killstreaks earned in your current life earn kill credit for other killstreaks.
- Overkill — Carry two primary weapons.
- Restock — Recharge equipment over 30 seconds.
- Amped — Faster weapon swap and rocket launcher reload speed.
- Battle Hardened — Reduce the strength of enemy flash, stun, and EMP effects.
- Cold-Blooded — Undetectable by AI targeting system and thermal optics. Immune to snapshot grenades.
- High Alert — Your vision pulses when enemies outside of your view see you.
- Shrapnel — Spawn with an extra piece of lethal equipment. Explosive damage delays enemy health regeneration.
- Spotter — See enemy equipment, field upgrades, and killstreaks through walls. Mark them for your team by looking at them while aiming down sights.
The perks seem decent in my opinion. There was a leak last month about potential perks, and I’m glad some of those “leaked perks” aren’t on this list. The Pick 10 system is gone meaning you will only be able to use 3 perks. I’m disappointed to see that Ghost and Cold Blooded are in two separate tiers meaning players will stack those and be jerks. I don’t think Infinity Ward has ever implemented a version of Ghost that I’ve liked, and this game is no different. Kill Chain means that the kills your killstreaks get will stack and add to your next killstreak. So think Modern Warfare 2. There wasn’t a Dead Silence perk either, but I think I saw someone say it’ll be in the final build.
Lethals and Tacticals (CharlieIntel)
- Frag Grenade
- Molotov Cocktail
- Throwing Knife
- Proximity Mine
- Flash Grenade
- Smoke Grenade
- Stun Grenade
- Stim — Military stimulant that cauterizes combat wounds
- Decoy Grenade — Counter-intel grenade that simulates fake gunfire and radar signatures that confuses the enemy.
- Gas Grenade — Explodes on impact with the ground releasing a lingering cloud of tear gas that causes slowed movement, blurred vision, and coughing.
- Snapshot Grenade — Provides a momentary glimpse of enemies within the blast radius.
- Heartbeat Sensor — A tablet that displays rough information about nearby enemies.
The baby monitor is back!!! Who’s idea was that? The lethal and tactical equipment are all standard affair and returning from previous CoD titles. The snapshot grenade is pretty cool though as it highlights enemy combatants when it explodes.
I’m going to talk more about this game in a separate article I’m working on. I just wanted to make sure I gave you all the information I could find at the moment.
Let me know what you think about the gameplay reveal and information we’ve gotten in the comments section below!